Saturday, January 17, 2015

Lesson Learned: Do Less, But Better

For many weeks I remained on my library's waiting list for an audio copy of Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown.  When I finally got the call just a few days after the New Year saying it was ready for me to pick it up, I did not think it a coincidence that its arrival coincided with the typical time to set resolutions.  It was definitely a sign that I need to heed to McKeown's advice.  He says to make "the wisest possible investment of your time and energy in order to operate at our highest point of contribution," one must set clear priorities.  I am ready. 

Over the last several years I have attempted to minimize unnecessary stress in my professional and personal life by avoiding taking on projects that I know will cause me angst or are simply tasks that do not meet my skill set or comfort level.  While serving as Program Chair for the Conference on English Leadership 2013 Annual Convention, for example, I said no to several interesting opportunities because I couldn't take on additional responsibilities without also adding additional stress.  Also (though I adore my children), I do not volunteer to be room mom, PTA committee chair or troop leader.  Those activities are just not my thing, and (quite honestly) I'd rather dedicate the time those activities take to spending time with my children.  

However, listening to McKeown's book was still an eye-opening experience for me.  While I have tried to make wiser choices with my time, I have not done so with the systematic approach he recommends.  I have not identified my most essential priorities, choosing projects based solely on my passions and goals.  And I have not really applied his essentialist strategy at work, where I tend to take on additional projects simply because I am asked to do so or because a topic interests me.  As an educational leader, I need to work smarter and not more to make sure I guide and support my department effectively so that we can make tremendous strides in designing great curriculum and learning experiences for our students.   
As I listened to Essentialism, I noted a few key lines that I know I will return to again and again as I weigh where to put my energy.  They are:

"Remember that if you don’t prioritize your life, someone else will."  

"When we forget our ability to choose, we learn to be helpless."

“We often think of choice as a thing. But a choice is not a thing. Our options may be things, but a choice—a choice is an action. It is not just something we have but something we do.” 

"You have to look at every opportunity and say, 'Well, no … I’m sorry. We’re not going to do a thousand different things that really won’t contribute much to the end result we are trying to achieve.” 

“If it isn’t a clear yes, then it’s a clear no.”

Now, I must confess that I write this blog post after one of the most over-scheduled, stressful weeks so far this year.  Before the holidays I planned this past week as one where I would get a lot accomplished, scheduling several observations, running a few meetings, planning and presenting professional development sessions, and much more.  And yet, I felt frustrated and unproductive.  I had no time to think.  I had no time to follow up with teachers.  I had no time to focus on any one project.  My week to "get things done" turned into "get little done well."  

However, this week proved to me that McKeown is correct.  I should have focused my energies solely on my top priorities, leaving those non-essential activities off my schedule.  I am certain I would have performed those crucial tasks better had I given myself enough time to think about the goals and develop exceptional products.  

Lesson learned.  

Now I have to work valuing sleep more, which McKeown also argues is essential.  But that is for another day... (or night)!


1 comment:

  1. You mentioned this book to me the other day, but honestly, I was so overwhelmed with my decision-making that I forgot about it until I just stumbled upon your blog right now. I don't think that it is coincidence for me to consider your thoughts and his quotes right now - thank you for reminding me to prioritize and consider my passions. And I definitely recommend more sleep for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete